Accelerated Product Teams
Over the last ten years, working with agile, DevOps and lean startup methods, I have developed an approach to building and improving digital products and the teams that build them.
Arbuckle’s Second Law:
As with products, teams that improve more slowly than the markets they serve are doomed for disruption or irrelevance.
Arbuckle’s Third Law:
In the majority of teams only 10% of features developed actually produce the kind of customer behaviour that generate revenue.
(The first law has to do with compliance.)
I call teams shaped in response to these ‘laws’, the accelerated product team.
What is an accelerated product team?
An accelerated product team:
- is agile.
- deploys daily to live production using continuous delivery.
- defines and tests hypotheses of customer behaviour in small pieces and only further invests in those that are proven.
- is full stack. Consisting of all those involved in building and supporting the product, from ‘product owner’ to ‘operations’.
How do I build an accelerated product team?
- Don’t worry about scale until you have a scale problem (which is a good problem to have). Start with one product and set revenue and growth targets for it.
- Dedicate team resources to the product - this is your new product team.
- Get someone who can coach technical and commercial team members in how to work and improve both the team and the product together.
How do I start?
- I run a 3 day workshop, called the “Accelerated Product Workshop” This is the best place to start. You can run this workshop yourself, too.
- The APW guides a dedicated team of resources and their leadership in shaping a backlog of work that builds a compelling outcome for the customer one sprint at a time.
Contact me at justin[at]dromologue.com - if you would like to discuss how to apply these ideas in your business.